View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #947
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I have friends looking to move to Canmore sharing a similar anecdote to those reported earlier about people from Ontario buying properties sight unseen with no conditions. We all know how this will end.
I've heard versions of this anecdote from my friends all over.

Friend in Texas - California and New York folks are buying everything
My home - Sydney and Melbourne people are buying everything up
Calgary - Everyone moving from Toronto (even though when I was a kid growing up and the city grew from 500k to 1.2m with those people moving rapidly into Cowtown, housing prices didn't blow up 30% in a year until subprime lending/oil rises in 05-07).
New Zealand - Auckland people are buying everything
Sydney and Melbourne - Asian investors are buying everything up
London - Russian / Middle Eastern capital is making things unaffordable

In the short term, mortgage rates declined rapidly, which improves servicing, so you can spend more. There's more capital out there looking for a home, and it gets stuck in Real Estate valuations.

The printing presses are slowing and interest rates are set to climb aggressively in Canada (BoC is quite hawkish). I'm NOT calling a housing crash, but prices should dip 5-10% from the highs and you will be able to have the time get a housing inspection plus conditions for finance.

Are they building a big project in the Halifax area? What is driving sustainable demand in that area out of curiosity?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote