View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #10
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
I’ll find the article if I can, but there was a case in Toronto last year where a judge handed down a 15 month sentence, minus time served of course, in a case where the defendant was convicted of possession of a loaded, PROHIBITED firearm and other sundry offences.

Most of the nonsense reasons were that the defendant was black, but still a very short sentence for carrying a loaded gun that very few can even get a license to posses in Canada

Then we have the courts playing catch and release with people charged with gun crimes. Arrest them, take their illegal gun, arraign them and then kick them back onto the street where they probably have another gun by the end of the day.
I just don’t know what alternative you would prefer unless we go the privatized jail system like in the states (which has proven to be completely ineffective). Holding prisoners costs money. A lot. Statistically the overwhelming majority of offenders granted bail do not go on the commit violent crimes while on bail. Obviously you hear of the cases in the news when they do and it sensationalizes it. We live in one of the safest countries in the world in one of the safest times to live in history. I’m not sure we have some epidemic on our hands here we just have lighting fast access to news everywhere and things can seem bigger then they are.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote