View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #150
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is 3 parts to this claim:

1) Flames were obviously looking at him and had a bit of a book on him.

2) This shouldn't have been possible if not for the (supposed) internal competition for that top 9 spot to return an 'error' message. Seriously, nobody took it. Nobody in this organization claimed that spot. It was wide-open, and I didn't see a single player claim it. I mean, in my mind it was Ruzicka's to lose, but even he didn't really claim it, but you bet your house he won't be waived - he will not pass through waivers either.

3) Pittsburgh tried to 'sneak' him through waivers too early. Players you think are at risk for being claimed are usually put on waivers on the last day before teams have to set their rosters for the year. That's when the majority of players sneak across. Pittsburgh screwed up here.

I am happy that the Flames got him. There is zero to complain about. For those that think that Sutter will overplay him undeservedly, keep in mind that Sutter didn't give much time to another 6'6" who skated well and had pretty good numbers in the AHL as well (Buddy Robinson). Sutter plays guys that help him win, period. Buddy didn't, but hopefully Zohorna does.

At minimum, this is a direct shot at Phillips, Zary, Pelletier, Schwindt, Jones, Duehr, and even Milano and Ruzicka who didn't grab a spot. None of these players claimed a spot. None. Zary was the closest though. Pettersen was having a good camp until he got hurt, so I won't throw an egg his way - ditto for Pospisil. For everyone else, they just have to look themselves in the mirror as to why the Flames decided they had the room to bother to claim Zohorna and give him the opportunity to claim a roster spot.

I would have bet my house that the top 9 spot was visibly and definitively claimed by at least one prospect, with others taking a step. Now I am pumped about the new guy. I don't care if it is Flames picks, PTOs, FA signings or waiver claims - I want the best players to make the team, and I hope Zohorna bats this out of the park.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: