View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #209
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Thanks for the link. I understand where GGG is coming from, we just have a difference as to what is acceptable and what isn’t. I’m not trying to argue that minor spills are just as bad as major ones or that things haven’t gotten better in the industry, I’m just of the opinion that more can be done.

I disagree that no one is downplaying anything but agree that there is a lot of misinformation going around from both sides of the argument.

Maybe this can explain my position a little more clearly. I’ve seen and read about a number of remediations. It’s great that these companies are being held accountable and to their credit, doing a good job of remediating the sites. Here’s my issue and why I can’t accept the argument that putting even more money into preventative measures would not be financially viable. Even with the millions or billions of dollars being spent on clean up and remediation many companies are still making billions in profits, so I can’t understand why it unreasonable expect them to put more money towards prevention. They will still be able to operate profitably, while decreasing the likelihood of having to perform a cleanup in the future. Seems like a win win.

I’m not ignorant to the fact that there is a need for oil or the fact the industry isn’t going away anytime soon. I just don’t agree with accepting the status quo. Keep this in mind, when you bring up all the measures that have been put in place and all the work companies have put into mediation(which again in many cases is done exceptionally well) all of that comes from people who are demanding it be done, I don’t think anyone will argue against that. Maybe instead of viewing my position as “these companies aren’t doing good enough” try and see it as “these companies have shown an ability to do great things when pushed and I think they have the potential to do even better”.

I hope that’s reasonable enough.

Thanks again
You have this assumption that pipeline companies aren't continually trying to make things better and decrease spills. Why do you think that? Do you think they just are doing things as per usual every time a line is built? There is no new tech? No research going on?

Or do you feel no matter what they do they should do more?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote