View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #103
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I don't understand the logic here. Bridging a player doesn't capitalize on the players appreciated value. There's a reason so many GMs are handing out long term contracts to young RFAs: the player is worth more than their salary and AAV at years 5-8. But when you re-sign them in their late 20's, their value depreciates because they're not worth their salary or caphit in their later years.

Buying out Brouwer cost the team 6 million. If Hanifin cost 6 million for 8 years, those last three years are easily worth more than Brouwer's buyout. You have to think, Hanifins next contract could be 10-12 million one if he pans out to being a top pairing D-man. That's nearly double his worth!
It's also possible that an RFA signed to long term deal does not improve as expected, and is overcompensated for the entirety of the deal.

No buy out:
Brouwer 4.5 4.5 0 0
Hanifin 3.5 3.5 6.75 6.75
4th liner 0 0 1 1
TOTAL 8 8 7.75 7.75

Brouwer 1.5 1.5 1.5 1.5
4th liner 1 1 1 1
Hanifin 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.5
TOTAL 8 8 8 8

It's pretty close to a wash - of course it varies based on exact numbers of either Hanifin contract. You can subtract a million from the next 2 years of no buy out if you bury him. I don't give a crap about the owner's real money.

It comes down to how certain you are that Hanifin is a $5+M dollar player, and how certain you are that Brouwer will be a complete disaster again. I'll take the extra $1.5M available starting 2 years from now, even if it costs more than that to sign Hanifin then. Good problem to have.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote