View Single Post
Old 10-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #17
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ve done quite a few of these and here are our criteria:

5 stars if we can. 4.5 if we can’t.
we like ocean and beaches. We like pools too but don’t hang in them.
Consider your children of all ages. We always take them into account especially as they have gotten older. A quick way to not get a break is to not consider your kids and what they will get up to.
We like a quality buffet with lots of options as we have quite different eating types in my family. Similarly, if any member of your travelling squad needs special food considerations make sure they can be accommodated.
We tip a lot. That’s a personal choice. We tip in usd$1 or 20 pesos. Put a tip in your fridge and a list of what you need. For us it’s cerveza and agua. And we empty the fridge daily so it gets refilled and we put spare water and beer in our suit cases. Oddly precious commodities when you need them.
Take anti hang over pills. With kids, you will thank me later.
I personally like dreams resorts but AMR is going through a rebranding so not sure if it’s the same dreams.
We love big waves as a family but these may not be the best for younger children.
My skin burns so I wear spf shirts there. When I started, it was me and lots of kids only wearing them. Now many people wear them. I’d recommend taking one even if only to give your skin a break once in a while if you burn and not tan.
I always chuckle when people report understrength drinks. So get a double! I don’t mind them as it keeps me going.
We avoid cancun but have stayed south on the riviera maya and north on playa mujeres. North used to be cheaper as it was newer but that might be changing.

Every all inclusive is different!

Agree on some of the things people rate resorts on. Some people let their very first experience checking in wreck their whole vacation. “ I didn’t get a drink at checkin and I should have known that I would have to ask for drinks the rest of the trip. How could they not know what I drink?” And my other favourite: “I don’t tip and I never do on principle. I always get served so why bother? I noticed that tippers seemed to get better service. Terrible resort.”

Good thread!