View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #66
pagébonquiqui
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Nick Schneider gets an opportunity to start tonight for the Mavericks. As of lately, it has seemed he will get 1 start for every 3 starts McDonald gets. Mason McDonald does not dress for tonight's game so Ben Halford sits on the bench for backup. I am not sure the reasoning behind that one. As far as I know, he is healthy. Might just be to give Mase a break before they go on their 8 game road trip. They play against the Oilers affiliated, Wichita Thunder who are 10 points under them in the standings. So far 2 teams in the league have clinched playoff berths and the Mavericks hold the last spot in the Mountain Division with a 7 point lead on the Rapid City Rush. Mathematically they should win this game tonight, but regardless of the standings, Wichita always brings a tough matchup that has a Battle of Alberta feel to it.

Rocco Carzo is back on the ice after a scary looking play in overtime against the Cyclones. He is wearing a cage on his helmet to protect I'm assuming a jaw injury after getting a puck to the face. Wichita scores first just shy of the six-minute mark. Goal coming from Jason Salvaggio. Joey Sides wears the A today with VanWormer's absence and answers back with a goal of his own! Tying goal assisted by C.J. Eick and Corey Durocher. Greg Betzold takes on Jared Wilson in a fight. I am still unsure as to what sparked this but it appeared to happen mid-play. Both serve their 5 minutes in the box. Joey Sides didn't like the score the way it was and decided to do something about it. He scores his 2nd of the night, putting the Mavs up 2-1 and Eick picking up another assist. This score holds to the end of the period and the Mavs head to the locker room up 2-1 and leading in shots 11-10.

Greg Betzold stays hot and scores the third goal of the night for the Mavericks just as a Wichita penalty comes to an end. Mike Panowyk and Darian Dziurzynski pick up assists. Goal game just over 5 minutes into the 2nd period. The refs get a little whistle happy through the bulk of the 2nd period. Mavs go on a 5 on 3, then Wichita does. 4 on 4's power plays, penalty kills are at large but they all go through with no change in the score. Mavericks hold a 3-1 lead in goals and a 21-16 lead in shots.

The third period brings intensity from both sides but not a whole lot of production. A couple of penalties are whistled here and there. Both sides get their scoring opportunities but the score stays at a standstill. Nick Schneider stands tall in some tough rushes and zone pressure. Wichita calls a timeout with 1:38 to go in regulation and holds their goalie on the bench for a face off in the Mavs zone. The play pays off for Wichita and they get 1 back. It stays that way and with some good defensive play to end the period, Mavericks win this game 3-2. Schneider stops 28/30 shots.

GAME TWEETS at @KCFlames_update
pagébonquiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pagébonquiqui For This Useful Post: