Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Oh my...

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...ecast/#netflix

$35 for a TV alternative?

Limited apps as of yet, but likely a longer shelf life than the other set top boxes I would guess
Just to clarify, the Chromecast doesn't actually have apps built into it, but it will stream content to itself as directed by a Chromecast enabled app on your smartphone, tablet device, or Chrome browser.

It is almost like Airplay for apple devices, but it doesn't stream from your device or mirror the screen, it does the transfer all by itself once you get it started, essentially just making your device the remote control. It also isn't limited to any particular OS - you can start your stream from any Chromecast enabled app on an iOS, Android device, or any Windows/Mac/Chromebook computer using Chrome.

The big downside right now is that they are all sold out, and have been since almost instantly after they were released. Having 3 months of free Netflix on a $35 device made the effective price about $11. Also, I don't think they technically will ship directly to Canada at the present time.

Last edited by Rathji; 08-08-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote