View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #67
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy14 View Post
I for one hope the Red Mile is kept relatively classy this year. Rowdy but appropriate. I'd hate for us to end up on the news and lose the moral high ground we've enjoyed over edmonton and vancouver for all these years.
That's a pretty low standard. Vancouver had their riots.

Edmonton's "Copper Mile" was interesting. I lived in Edmonton then, a few blocks off Whyte (on 87th by campus). It was utterly ridiculous. After the Oilers won round 1, a bunch of us went to Whyte. We saw a guy driving a truck full of pallets on the way, asked him what he was doing with all of them, and he said he was going to go to Whyte and light them on fire. He was a man of his word.

Saw some girls in a shopping cart lifted up flashing, so what happens, but someone pitches fireworks in. Just troglodytic behavior.

Also saw a lot of people trying to shimmy across the wire traffic lights and falling off into the crowds below. Throwing bottles at firefighters on top of buildings. What good times.

Calgary is going to have to go out of their way to get to that level, because a lot of that is just Edmonton culture. It is inherently more blue collar and violent. Gods, I miss it sometimes. I don't even know if Calgarians could find a load of pallets to torch in the middle of a major street, let alone even consider it.

FTR, I lived in Edmonton for 8 years, absolutely loved it, would move back again (probably because it was during Uni, so best years of your life). It also really solidified me as a Flames fan that hates the Oilers.
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToraToraTora For This Useful Post: