View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #228
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
Rabada celebrates too hard - 2 game suspension.

Smith admits to cheating - 1 game suspension.

I guess ICC uses the same wheel of justice as the NHL.
Well Rabada did have his suspension revoked in the end.
It comes down to them setting up the rules the way they did - contact with an opposition player is vague, and would cover a tap during celebration or something more intentional.
Ball-tampering is too weakly punished by ICC, but I expect Cricket Australia to come down hard, especially with all the backlash.

However, if you step back and look at the big picture - this is not the first instance of a player/team using a foreign object to change the condition of the ball. it may be one of the more blatant, but it is not an unique event.
The main factor here that makes this worse is the captain/coach/leadership group co-opting the most junior player into the cheating. They tried to hide the evidence, but then made a full admission. Other cases, players have denied everything or only come clean much later.

For me, you have to sack the coach and strip the captaincy and vice-captaincy - the leadership team should no longer be leading, plain and simple. That is down to the coercion used on a junior player - abuse of power should mean removal of power position.

As for suspension beyond 1 game, up to and including life bans, this is a very tricky situation, precedent setting in fact. What does this event have that makes it warrant an unprecedented punishment? Would Smith, Warner, etc. take the case to court for future earnings if banned long-term, given the lack of precedent?

All I can say is that what they did was wrong in so many ways, poor sportsmanship and they should face discipline. And also that I am so glad I am not the one deciding the discipline to be levied, as it is close to a no-win situation.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post: