View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #1614
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^someone here mentioned they have a Tesla and it loses about 40% range in the cold(and I've read that elsewhere), so that's what I was going with. If you want to go skiing, you are obviously parking all day, and there are only so many chargers to use. 200km barely gets you one way to Lake Louise or Sunshine. It doesn't get you to Edmonton. Yes, you can stop, but my point was, people see stuff like that and go oh, I'm going to need more range than that, even if it is only a few times a year. PHEV can alleviate that, which leads to more sales and fewer emmisions, which I why I tihnk they are a good near term solution until battery tech improves and costs come down.

That's where something like car sharing instead of ownership might be better. You want to drive from Calgary to Vancouver, you swap your EV halfway there with another so you don't have to wait. Or, you end up with some of those rest stops like they have all over Ontario, where you can drop off your car, have lunch, and then get going again. I just haven't seen many plans yet for how the charging infrastructure is going to scale up when EVs become more prolific on the road. Right now it would be suffereable, but I don't know if you're 3rd in line to charge your car, how that's going to look.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote