View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #1605
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I have a plug in hybrid van as there isn't a full electric family Vehicle big enough for us. We're at 9000km and have spent about $200ish in gas and $180 in electricity.

I think all plug in hybrids regularly cycle the engine on to move fuel and gas around to avoid that issue. Depending on the model, oil changes are pretty rare. Our warranty says we have to do it at 16000km, when oil change indicator says (350 hours) or 1 year

A 500km range is not necessary for 95+% of owners. Most of the time you're charging at home and almost all newer EVs charge at 100 kW or more, meaning quick top ups. I feel like 350km would be the sweet spot for our family and we travel to Alberta regularly. The trouble for now is there's almost zero charging infrastructure in northern Alberta
The problem with 350km is that it is more like 200km in the winter, which makes it only suited for city driving in the cold. Fine if you have 2 vehicles, but people will almost always desire to own at least one vehicle that has no problem going 500km, which is why a PHEV makes sense if you own one vehicle, or a full electric and a gas/PHEV vehicle if you own 2.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote