View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Home theater receivers these days are more about convenience and versatility than sound quality so figure out which features are important to you and go from there. Here is a list that fits your budget:

Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver RX-V377

Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver RX-V477

Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver RX-S600

Denon AVR-E200

Denon AVR-E300

Marantz NR 1403

I would start with the one that weighs the most. The amps in the majority of HTRs are under-performers so an HTR that has some heft to it indicates a stronger amp/transformer. I would then look to see if the HTR has pre-amp outs in order to hook-up an amp (or amps). If you want to listen to music from CD or whatever, then I recommend a separate amp to drive the mains.

I've read good reviews about the NR1403. It is on sale at FS and I noticed, too, that you can get refurb ones off ebay for $299.00 and free shipping out of Ontario. It has the amp pre out so I'd lean towards it. For 299.00, I may get one.

Also look for Audyssey MultiEq to correct room issues and balance speaker outputs.
Did some reading on that Marantz one and think I'll go for it. I don't care about network connectivity, and that one seems to have the best sound quality plus a far smaller profile to boot
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote