View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 11:28 AM   #35
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Cables are usually stapled to the studs (although I don't know what they do in condos if they are metal studs) so you wouldn't be able to just tape the new cable onto the old one and pull it through. Anyway, if you pull the wall-plate off you should see the type of cable used on the side of the sheath.

How big is your place? You could just move the cable modem to the location where you have the most connections to make.
Well... it might not have been. I had a miscommunication with the contractor. Of the 2 erroneous ports, one was the one supposed to be behind the TV. I didn't realize this until the plates were on and I was missing a coax/ethernet behind the TV I requested they mount. IIRC, he asked someone to drop a cable down to hook up the coax and I believe the cables go through a bulkhead in the ceiling. I might be an odd case where a lazy corner cutting job and screw up might benefit me. But I'll have to grab a 10 ft ladder to check.

Basement around 650 Sq ft. Two upstairs floors around 650 each as well. Problem is I can't move modem from utility closet because I would then lose ethernet connection upstairs for my repeater modem and main floor. Cable modem in utility closet and a router repeater on 2nd floor. Plans to install a repeater behind TV in basement (wifi going through 2 drywalls and one wall is tile so wifi speed kinda sucks sometimes in basement). Planning another repeater on the main floor once I find suitable cost effective routers to use. Leaning towards Ubiquiti, but no budget on it yet.

I can't move the cable modem to behind the TV unless I fix the ethernet. Otherwise, the Cat6 pulled throughout the upper floors will be useless.

Different path, I plan on installing the updated DD-WRT on my router to patch the KRACK vulnerability on my AC1750 router. Good idea? Better alternative?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote