View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 06:50 AM   #3058
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
I was curious about this, so I looked it up.

From 2014-2015 (the start of BT's tenure) to now, the Flames are 21st in the league in total points. We have drafted less in the first round than any team in the bottom 10, indeed, less than any team but Washington, Tampa, and Pittsburgh who are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the league during the same period. We have had fewer draft picks in total since 2014 than all but five teams. We've also spent to the cap for every year except for two years at the beginning of BT's time. For all this, we have four playoff appearances and one series win.

I used to think that Benning was one of the worst GMs in the league, but the Canucks are 26th during the same period. They have a young 1C, a young top pairing D, and a young potential 1G. They also have the same number of series wins as the Flames.

As someone on this board correctly summarized: better than Feaster (26th overall in the league by points from 2011-2013), but not by much.

Treliving took the team over very early in a rebuild so there were obviously a couple of bad years in there. If the next GM that takes over the team and wants to rebuild get ready for similar or worse results.

The whole 1st round pick thing doesn’t really jive for me especially if people really open their eyes they will see that 2018 is really the only gap.

2014- Bennett + 2 picks in the second round
2015 - pick is traded for Hamilton 3 years later Hamilton is traded for a 21 year old former 5th overall pick 2015. The Flames recouped a player taken 10 spots ahead of their original pick just 3 years later + they drafted twice in the 2nd round
2016 - Tkachuk + 2 picks in the 2nd round
2017 - Valimaki and here is where we start to see a lack of picks
2018 - brutal Hamonic trade sees NYI select Dobson with our pick
2019 - Pelletier but no 2nd rounder
2020 - Zary and finally back to having a 2nd

Yes the Hamonic trade was absolutely brutal as if you want to be technical the flames did not actually draft in round 1 in 15 in addition to 18 but it all worked out in the end with the Hurricanes blockbuster which has the teams best forward and too young Dman locked up for under $5M
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote