View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #17
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I was at my wife's family reunion missing the draft while playing volleyball in a dusty field.

My son yells "Dad, the Jackets took Dubios!" and I was more than choked that the Oilers lucked their way to JP, I didn't even look at my phone for the next three hours.

Then over dinner my son again "Dad, the Flames got Tkachuk!" and I was shocked.

Great outcome.

Dubois is coming on, but Tkachuk is more than a player on the ice, he's a future captain, and a guy that sets the tone.

So happy Vancouver messed this up.
Yup exactly right. Matthews and Laine are great goal scorers, and were absolutely drafted in the right spot. But Matty was exactly what this team needed. Comming off a year when many flames fans were asking tough questions about grit and heart, Matty came out and took his job on this team. He brought an pest element that we haven't seen in Calgary since Fluery, and drags his team into the game. Backland and Frolik are great players, but if you think they would have been a top tier line last year with anyone other then Tkchuck, your seriously selling him short. Draft day couldn't have gone better for the flames. I don't think thier draft selection counter even dropped a full minute when Matty was found to be still on the board. I visualized Treliving mashing the Tkchuck button right after Vancouver's draft pick, and causing a system lag that accounts for the 45 second time gap for the selection.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote