View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #462
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I actually believe that u-turns are never legal unless there is a sign specifically indicating that a u-turn is allowed. My buddy received a u-turn ticket a couple years ago a few blocks from his house because he made a u-turn at a light when there was no traffic when he realized he forgot something at home.
Oddly enough, in Alberta, U-Turns are allowed at intersections without lights but not at intersections with lights.

From the Traffic Safety Act: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?pa...=9780779756209
Quote:
Division 7
U-Turns

Interpretation

The turns referred to in this Division include what are commonly known as “U-turns”.

Must be done in safety

(1) A person driving a vehicle shall not turn the vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction unless that movement can be made in safety and without interfering with other traffic.
(2) A person driving a vehicle shall not,
(a) on a curve, or
(b) on the approach to or near the crest of a grade, turn the vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction if the vehicle cannot be seen by a person driving another vehicle that is approaching within 150 metres from either direction.

Restrictions on making U-turn

A person driving a vehicle shall not, at the following locations, turn the vehicle so as to travel in the opposite direction:
(a) in the case of an urban area,
(i) on a roadway between intersections,
(ii) at an alley intersection, or
(iii) at an intersection where one or more of the highways is an access to a public or private facility to which the public normally has access;
(b) in the case of an urban area or a non-urban area,
(i) at a place where a sign prohibits making a U-turn, or
(ii) at an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal unless specifically permitted by a traffic control device.

If the guy drove across the median, he'd also be in violation of this (from the same Act):
Quote:
(2) If a highway is divided into 2 or more roadways by a boulevard, ditch or other physical barrier, a person driving a vehicle shall not drive the vehicle
(a) into, across or on the boulevard, ditch or physical barrier,
or
(b) on that portion of the highway that is to the left of the yellow line except in an emergency situation where the vehicle is disabled and it is not practicable to move the vehicle to the far right side of the highway.

I believe he could also receive a ticket for Stunting.
Quote:
Anyone who drives a vehicle so as to perform or engage in any stunt or other activity on a highway that is likely to distract, startle or interfere with other users of the highway is guilty of Stunting.
If I was driving the opposite direction and saw a vehicle on the other side coming across the median, I would definitely be startled or distracted.