View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #22
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I realize we are paying more with supply management, however when it comes to food, I am prepared to pay extra to know that it will always be available, that the quality is guaranteed, and know that by buying it I am supporting my fellow Canadians.

When I was a kid there were canning and cheese factories everywhere in Ontario, and they provided much needed employment during the harvest season, and throughout the year. Most of them have disappeared since.

I now buy my canned fruit, vegetables, and my cereal from China, a nation I have no admiration for. I would much prefer that they came from Canada.

As for beef, I am happy that ranchers can still make a decent living. However the size of the operation is becoming much larger with time in order to just break even. One rancher told that a short time ago you needed one section of land and 100 head of cattle to break even, and that now he needed two sections of land and 200 head of cattle. Thank heavens the way of life compensates for the struggle to survive. I would also like a much higher percentage of the beef processing companies be owned by Canadians.

Last edited by flamesfever; 09-18-2021 at 02:29 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote