View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #53
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

My career transitioned from working at a small EPCM in O&G to working at an electrical utility in their capital projects group about two years ago, with my first project being a wind power facility.

From a cutting-edge technology perspective, it's really cool to see these massive blades, gearboxes and drivetrains, and tower sections all being delivered to site and assembled with some of the largest mobile cranes available. Putting these WTGs together is a major endeavor and still very manpower-intensive during the construction phase. It's unfortunate that all of the components come in from overseas instead of being manufactured here (and we had massive shipping issues due to port congestion/COVID). Also, very few ports can handle the sizes of our WTG shipments and especially the transportation requirements for getting out of port and onto highways.

Totally agree regarding transmission lines, unfortunately they're a visible eyesore and although we're one step removed from the TFO, I've heard that there is quite a bit of opposition from public stakeholders (and not always unjustifiably so).
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arcfyr For This Useful Post: