View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 04:35 PM   #372
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
He’s the best player in the AHL. Yeah, somebody will want him.
No, they won't. Go back through the past 20 years and show me an instance where a D+7 player was traded, let alone for anything of value.

Quote:
Also your logic is massively flawed and all you have done is sit around disagreeing with people.
You have no logic. You look at his point totals in the AHL and go derp derp derp. The road to the NHL is paved with guys who could score in the AHL and never got a sniff of the show. Just look the past few years.

Andrew Poturalski (1.42 PPG), TJ Tynan (1.58 PPG), Seth Griffith (1.25 PPG), Sam Anas (1.11 PPG), Reid Boucher (1.26 PPG), Gerry Mayhew (1.24 PPG), all small undersized players who never amounted to a hill of beans.

Quote:
Please, what is the best strategy right now for the Flames and Matthew Phillips. Do nothing, miss playoffs, watch him walk in free agency and receive no value or benefit from him? Sweet.
I wouldn't do anything out of the ordinary. I would treat him like you do with a prospect that is D+7. TBH, it doesn't matter what they do. He's going to be UFA at the end of the season regardless of what they do. The thing they have to do is decide if he has an NHL future. Sutter's comments have me pretty confident they don't believe there is a future there.

Quote:
Also, is it your position that he literally could not do anything to make the NHL? If not, what can he do? What is good enough or what do you need to see? Why did they draft him if his size is too much of an issue?
He's done everything in his power to make the NHL, and it doesn't appear that is enough for the Flames, especially the coach of the NHL team. Don't blame me that the NHL is a game for big men, and that we have a coach who really likes the beef in the lineup. I can't tell you why they drafted him. I wouldn't have gone near him. The risk was too large, even for a late pick. They must have thought they could catch the Gaudreau lightning in a bottle. Not a great strategy IMO.

Quote:
Matthew Phillips has proven every single person in his career wrong that his size will make a difference. At every single level.
It only took him four years in the AHL to prove anything and a fifth to step to the fore. Is Calgary ready to make a similar investment at the NHL level for him? Again, the step to the NHL is a massive jump. It's why the AHL is filled with small players who have scored at that level and never amounted to anything at the NHL level.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote