View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #46
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A little to add as I recently was developing some training programs for the insurance industry.
There are a lot of things that will dictate your rate. Mileage as some have asked does make a difference and they are supposed to ask. The more miles you drive the higher a risk you are according to stats. Occasional driver and even your occupation has a bearing on your rates on most companies.

Some occupations get better rates as they are considered more careful drivers and their stats show that.

Having kids in your house will also affect premiums for most as well and having teenagers driving or not should be identified. Their fear is a teenager may take your vehicle for a spin even though not licensed.

Only a few companies use the Telematics device which is a software that monitors your driving. Tracks speeds, how you brake, times of day you drive etc. The ones that have it give 10 - 15% discounts is what most get but really great drivers and not many at that level can get as much as 25%.
Distracted driving is now the biggest cause of most accidents and that is controllable and hurting the industry badly.

Tickets hurt your rates of course as well as accidents. Companies have different time periods that keep your accident free years on their books. Some are 6 or 7 years and mine for example is using the industry15 year rating to fully wipe out accident free years.

Probably a bunch of other things I dealt with as well but those are a few I recall specifically creating materials for.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post: