View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 12:34 AM   #26
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Does typing speed even matter in the 21st Century?

It seems like a remnant of the days when old men would dictate their correspondence to secretaries who then transcribed it on a typewriter. Or when companies had typing pools with rooms full of women re-typing the same form letter over-and-over again all day.
Actually yes, it does still matter. Probably only in certain industries or jobs though. I am a Executive Secretary/Assistant and my job interviews lately have all involved either asking or testing typing speed. Many of the CEO's I've worked for still either verbally dictate what they want written or they will write it down on paper and give it to you to type up and format and want it done within 30 minutes. The majority of my job is on the computer typing letters, reports, proposals on tight timelines so they need someone who types fast and accurate.

The last formal test I took (which was a week ago) put me at 83 wpm and 97% accuracy which was enough to consider me an "Expert" by whatever their ratings were. They said most others barely test above the 50-60 mark and the minimum they were requesting was 45 wpm. The fact I could blow them out of the water put me high up on the list for consideration to hire. So in my case, typing speed is a huge benefit.