View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #60
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Yeah I'm not worried about the arbitrations.

I think if Brouwer isn't going to improve (in all likelihood, that's the case), then it's better to give his ice time to someone who:

1) Needs more NHL ice time, such as Mangiapane
2) Might improve at the NHL level, such as Lazar
3) Can handle the role just as well, if not better, but could serve as a long term depth Flame, such as Hathaway

I think every Flames fan agrees Brouwer is not in the Flames long term vision. So why delay the inevitable, perhaps burning a bridge or development opportunity for a younger or better player along the way?

1) Mangiapane (and other top 6 type prospects) shouldn't be developing on the 4th line. Slot them into a position to succeed, or keep them in the AHL and succeeding in that role.
2) I agree that Lazar should play ahead of Brouwer for the reasons you outlined.
3) Hathaway offers more speed, but that's about it. Brouwer is a better defensive player, and if it means that we lose Hathaway next season, that's ok too. Hathaway maybe has more upside than Brouwer right now, but he is also turning 27 in November. I am not sure he will get to the point that Brouwer is now, at least not defensively, and offensively it is probably a wash. He just adds more speed and plays the pest role better, while Brouwer is much better at making plays and has much better defensive awareness. I think the Flames can afford to lose both, quite honestly.

Again, I think that Brouwer in a strictly 4th line role probably helps the Flames win more than helps them lose, and I especially like him in a 13th forward type role. With that being said, he could very well turn his game around under a new coach and become closer to the player that he was immediately before joining the Flames. I think the bottom 6 last year wasn't as weak as it is seems, and feel that the system made it more difficult for less-talented individuals to hit the scoresheet. I doubt he turns it around to be honest, but it wouldn't shock me if he did considering how consistent he was right up until the day he showed up in Calgary.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: