View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 10:44 PM   #39
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I've asked it before and I'll ask it again... if his size really is as much of an impediment as people say it is, and the team always had its mind made up that he was never going to be an NHLer, why have the Flames kept him in their system for as long as they have?
Sometimes you sign players knowing they are going to top out at the AHL level. There is no shame in being a great AHL player. It's like the triple A player in baseball who just can't catch up to a 90+ fastball, can't hit the curve, doesn't have the speed on the base paths, has a weak arm, or is weak at their defensive position. They may be dominant in the minors but just never have the right package to play in the majors. It's why guys kick around the minors well into their 30s. Phillips may just be one of those AHL scoring stars who doesn't have the package to play in the NHL or the team just knows his game won't translate.

Obviously from Scorps snippet from Treliving the team is in this camp. They are obviously looking at other players down on the farm and thinking who they can give a look to. Zahorna and Duehr seem to fit the description Treliving is floating. If there is a call-up, I think it's going to disappoint a lot of people.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote