View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 11:39 AM   #2036
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, fine, but by that logic of "they can do whatever they want with their property"
I'm not the target audience for the Little Mermaid and am pretty unlikely to watch it both now and before I learned that the main character was going to be black.

All that said, I do think it's interesting to note that the Little Mermaid isn't actually a Disney owned property, but is rather a Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale. Since it's nearly 200 years old, Disney doesn't own it and it is public domain. The likeness of their Little Mermaid, their songs, etc, sure, but the character itself no. Even the story is a tough call - the Disney version is lighter, and less complicated with a more "Disney" ending, but does follow the original story to a significant degree. A competing studio could easily and legally make their own version of The Little Mermaid - anyone could, and could do it with anything from an all-White to all-Burmese to all-wearing-purple-body-paint cast. So really I don't see what the fuss is about - you don't like their movie make your own.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote