View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #44
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
The same was said for Cross Iron when it was first proposed, and IIRC when it first opened it was pretty dead during the week and really only had decent traffic (in shopping terms) during the weekend. It's obviously since grown into a success. So maybe this will just take time too but on the other hand Cross Iron was full (vacancy wise) when it opened which is certainly not the case here. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Hopefully the speculators who bought most of the units cut their losses and dump them for a more realistic and reasonable price and allow merchants to pick them up and actually be able to run a viable business.
I had more confidence in Cross Iron vs. this project. I remember going to Pacific Centre in Toronto, and that barely worked in Toronto with a much larger Chinese population. I just didn't think there was a big enough Chinese community in Calgary to sustain something of this size. The only way I saw it being successful was if it turned into a full multicultural mall that included Chinese, East Indian, Korean, European, etc. groups of Calgary. I think that'd be a neat concept, to be honest, and hope that's what this morphs into eventually. A multicultural mall that has a lot of mom and pop stores, and not just a Asian mall offering cheap electronics that you can order off Amazon and Alibaba.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote