View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #18
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I never really paid much attention to this claim specifically, but I am pretty cynical about many vaccination programs. No doubt vaccines in general save lives when they are needed, but there is also no doubt in my mind that pharmacutical companies overhype things so they can sell more vaccines.
This is such a commonly used argument about big pharma that its important to at least look at the truth here. Firstly vaccines are not very profitable, they are not easy to produce and require a lot of effort to produce and distribute. Ive seen numbers that suggest vaccines represent 1.5% of the overall sales from most drug companies that produce them along side the REAL money in pharma, prescription drugs.

Quote:
I also don't doubt that a certain percentage of people can get sick from vaccines and the different agents used to make and administer them.
Much like any medical drug, procedure, types of foods (allergens), etc.. The key is the risk factors, the risk of vaccination is infinitesimally small, and are very benign risks mostly, only on very rare occasions could anything serious occur. However the risks associated with not vaccinating is very serious and has not only risks to the un-vaccinated but to those around them who cannot be vaccinated (herd immunity.)

This is exactly the problem, people have 'feelings' that some of the ingredients don't seem like a good idea, that 'so many shots' at one time don't seem like a good idea, that 'big pharma wants big money' means that vaccines can't be trusted.

All this against a backdrop of overwhelming science, not from one source, not from dozens, but thousands and over a period of 50+ yrs and from all over the world.

Yet people want to distrust medical officials, health officials, scientists, and their governments; all over 'feelings' and distrust over pharmaceutical companies.

Are people are aware that the vast majority of life saving medicine's people use today are thanks to these companies? My father takes 9 different medications that allow him to live a healthier longer life, without them no doubt we would have lost him 10-20yrs ago.