View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #42
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, no, RDJ isn't in the same stratosphere. Good performance I think, but nothing to that level.

Pirates is a pretty good comparable in the sense that I know the main theme off the top of my head and it's pretty widely recognizable but that's about it. There are some leitmotifs in the Marvel movies generally - which obviously there should be given the interweaving plots, groups, characters and recurring locations like Wakanda - but they're mostly just not very memorable. I couldn't hum, say, Thor's theme for you. The only reason I can recognize Black Panther music is because of cheesy afro-kitsch. They also don't lead into each other well. They're not adequately versatile. Frankly the most impactful piece of music in the whole thing is probably Rubber Man.

Then you watch Fellowship and listen to the Ring theme transition into the Shire theme transition into the Fellowship theme in various different keys depending on the mood that Shore wants to convey and your mind explodes. Seriously, just watch that movie and focus entirely on the musical themes. It's really cool.

Yeah I agree. Me and my buddies used to sit around playing nerdy games listening to LOTR soundtrack on repeat.

That said, just because it's not up to the Star Wars/LOTR standard doesn't mean it's not worthy of a 2020 nomination.

They did trim back the acting nominations it seems, so I can't really argue with the selections. It'd be nice to see him recognized some how (although his 100's of millions I'm sure comfort him just fine). I guess my gripe is I feel like the whole idea is written off from the get-go, because of the content. Similar to a comedian. I'd just like to see the Academy recognize some more diverse content (thematically - not to take away from their need to recognize more diversity culturally).