View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #2462
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I don't know that the installers have any sort of inside scoop on how these things weather or have done any research on how covered versus uncovered affects longevity. I'll grant them some people are going to turn on their AC without removing the cover, but you're also going to have people that drive through their closed garage door, or have faucet pipes burst because they didn't winterize them, or have an RV leak because they didn't cover it and caulk the roof, etc. Flick the breaker off when you cover it to help you remember and you'll be golden.

Cars are designed to be in the elements, but compare a car that has been in a garage for 30 years versus one that has spent a few decades in the middle of a field. Covering stuff protects it from the elements and lets it last longer. It's common sense 101. Or look at a lazy guy that doesn't cover his barbecue versus somebody who covers theirs after every use. My barbecue looks brand new even though it's eight years old because I cover it after every use. My BIL has the same one bought at the same time and it looks like it's from Chernobyl. An AC unit is a few thousand bucks. Sure you can let it live outside in the elements seven months a year even though it's not being used, but it's going to last you a lot longer if you take the basic step of protecting it with a $50 cover.
It seems odd that multiples of these guys are refusing to make a quick margin on an AC cover though. Also weird that the thing that blows up AC units per their stories and increases their workload is a thing they wouldn't want to sell.

The difference between an AC unit and a vehicle is that a vehicle goes through a bigger strain from an outside cold start than from a garage. A lot less so with an AC unit which shouldn't be able to turn on if a temperature threshold and breaker system isn't bypassed.

In a different vein though, I'm keeping my eyes out for another smart thermostat this black Friday for a new home I purchased. I need dual thermostats at the new place, so I'll probably just nab another Nest with the one I already have so that they can communicate with each other.

Lowes is selling a Lyric T5+ for $99 bucks right now and if you use the honey app for the correct promo code or sign up for a newsletter for the first time, you can get $10 off. Add in the Alberta Energy Rebate, that's a pretty good price point to get in on the ability to adjust the thermostat from your bed (vs having to get up and do it manually). Add in the extra features? Awesome.

Last edited by DoubleF; 10-23-2019 at 09:43 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote