View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 02:23 AM   #255
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I caught a bit of the Brisbane Global Tens tournament and it seemed a bit meh. The crowd looked very small, partially due to it being a Super Rugby exhibition missing top players and partially due to the ridiculous heat wave reaching 40+ in Brisbane. If they are going to have these all day rugby events in Australia they need to move them out of the summer (I have the same criticism of the Sydney Sevens). That said the Super Rugby organizers deemed it a success and it will probably be back next year, although the rumour is a move to Auckland.

On to the actual Tens Rugby: It came as advertised as more structured than Sevens with proper line outs, scrums, more then two man rucks, and far more kicking for attack and field position while offering greater open play and try scoring than Fifteens. That said I don't see this format taking off. It still isn't "real" rugby and lacked the speed, flair, and try at anytime nature of Sevens. Of course as I've said before any rugby is good rugby.

Oh and if anyone cares the New Zealand teams of course dominated with the Chiefs beating the Crusaders in the final.