View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #59
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Completely disagree.

The number of young stud players who look to be on the verge/at the point of stardom that remain/improve on their fantastic play after a great sophomore season is FAR greater than the amount of players who stagnate/regress.

If Chabot was to have a similar season or improve on last season, his asking price next offseason would very likely have been double digits in terms of AAV.

By negotiating this quickly, the Senators potentially saved themselves $15-$20M over the next 8 years.

If you were to do this with 20 stud upcoming RFA's, the amount of deals that would look like absolute steals in a few years time would GREATLY outweigh the amount of deals that end up looking like fair/dud contracts.

That's why so many players prefer to play out the final year of their deals before negotiating, because they know they'll very likely make much more money by even just slightly improving on their previous seasons.
I agree with you on the Chabot thing, but this is what concerns me- we are going to assume that in one year of the same performance or better, he would now jump yet another 2 million to command double digits. Things are trending in a way that things are getting a bit ridiculous too fast in salaries and the cap is not parallel to this trend. There is uncertainty around the future cap. I know there is a future USA TV deal, but even still, we don't know what that number looks like yet. It just feels like a lot of major money decisions are being based off of assumptions right now.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote