View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #37
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm the first to admit Brodie looks way off some games. And it's confusing as hell, because he never used to be like that. Defenceman aren't supposed to get worse defensively in their primes. But at the same time, he's on pace to shatter Hamilton's career high from last season, and barely anyone makes a peep about Brodie's offensive game.

I think a lot of it has to do with the system as well. Brodie used to skate the puck out and make long outlet passes. Now the system is much more short, quick passes and everyone moving up together. It makes for a more cohesive unit, but undoubtedly some players are going to struggle with it.

And I still stand firm in my belief that the day his troubles started was the day he switched sides. Some posters debated with me that it shouldn't be the case. Switching sides should not have that effect. But the proof is in the pudding. The day Brodano got split up and Brodie moved to the other side for the stupid LD/RD thing, was the day his troubles started. We can point at Wideman, we can point at his off-ice situation. But I simply can't ignore what is in front of my eyes; that switch really did a number on his game.

Either way, he gets a pass for me thus far. If you're going to suck at one area of the game, you better be great in another. Unlike Bartowski who sucks all around, at the very least we can say that Brodie's offensive game is on another level. Personally I would prefer the Brodie of old who was excellent defensively, was a lock for 40+ points, and a top pairing player, vs what he is now. But it is what it is.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote