View Single Post
Old 01-22-2023, 08:49 PM   #3530
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I meant just 30 years, so from now back to 1993. Not that another 8 years is huge, but it does seem like there was a bit of a jump from the 80s to the 90s.

I think back to 1993 and it doesn't seem like much has changed between now and then. Computers and cell phones became more sophisticated of course, but they would be recognizable. Wireless technology would probably stand out. Music today sounds pretty much the same as from the 1990s and forward, IMO. There are differences, but not like the differences between Elvis and Motley Crue or Metallica.

But as far as music and styles go, it doesn't seem as big as the 30 years between 1955 and 1985. Heck, I see kids today still walking around wearing Nirvana t-shirts. I doubt too many kids were walking around in 1985 wearing Elvis or Everly Brothers merch.

Colloquial speech from the 1990s to today hasn't changes a heck of a lot, not to the degree of change between 1955 and 1985. I guess social media meme talk would probably confuse people in the 1990 if they just 30 years into the future.
IMO a lot of our culture seemed to freeze in time sometime in the mid-2000's. I recently got into watching British comedy shows so I'm catching up on things like Would I Lie To You and Taskmaster. The first few seasons of WILTY were obviously old since they were in SD, but as soon as the series switched to HD in 2010 I forgot I was watching TV over a decade old. Fashion looks the same, language is the same, hell a lot of the pop culture references are still relevant. And look at the first episode of Last Of Us, the first half was set in 2003 but apart from an Atkins reference I can't think of anything that stuck out as being 20 years dated

When you compare decades in the 20th century they're all quite unique in many ways, but as soon as we got into the 21st century everything just seemed to mesh together
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: