View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #92
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I would say it’s half assed from two perspectives.
1) there are guys still on the roster who will not be part of the futures and who’s value today will be higher than tomorrow. Trade them to get prospects instead of dealing them later when their skills decline.
2) smart signings. There are two ways to go about signing guys. You sign guys who haven’t developed who may go boom or bust (ie: Bautista years back) and let them develop. Not mediocre guys who have little upside. Or you sign a marquee guy and deal him at the deadline for prospects. Baseball is mostly about money chasers so if you give guys money they’ll come here.
1) Who?

2) Well Bautista wasn't a "signing" he was traded for and they got Bautista when he was 27 years old. Extremely atypical development for a hitter at his age who had bounced between several teams before landing in T.O. and see him turn him into a 50 home run hitter at the age of 29. I dunno I feel like that is a pretty tough standard to meet in terms of all players being acquired by Atkins and Co.

Did they not just give a lot of at bats to the likes of Billy Mckinney (former top 100 prospect) and Randall Grichuk (former 1st round pick)? Are they not "boom-bust" guys with high upside?

And since when have the Jays signed marquee free agents? Marquee free agents want money and term and not to play on turf and none of those things are things that the Jays want to do right now.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote