View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #48
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Yes, someone with career stat-line deserves both money and term. I was also furious at this time last year when the Flames didn't sign Lehner.

"Stingy defensive team"? In 2016-2017 the Sabres finished near the bottom of the league, allowed 237 goals, yet Lehner still has 92% in 59 games. Lehner has been on many bottom-dwelling teams, yet still has one of the higher save percentages in the history of the NHL.

Calgary as a city is great for raising a family. If you want a wholesome lifestyle, Calgary is probably one of the top choices. Sure, you can be under a microscope, but it also allows you to do a lot of good in the community.

Goaltending is the most important position in the sport - especially in the playoffs. Overpay for a goalie if you have to. Lehner is in the perfect age range and is consistent with a long track record. He has had 92% 5 times.

Other than bad free agent signings, Trelivings greatest shortcomings have come in the goaltending department. Sincer Kipper's retirement, they have over 10 goalies play. Hiller, Elliott, MacDonald, Backstrom, and Smith were all on the wrong side of 30.

The Talbot signing has no long term upside. They're banking on Rittich. I would rather they have banked on Lehner, who has 91.8% in 265 games and is only 27 years old.

I think it's pretty obvious that the Flames approached and dealt with Talbot because they didn't think Lehner would make it to the open market. This is a big mistake by Treliving. He always talks about planning for every scenario, and this time it looks like they completely overlooked an elite young player.

I honestly think a Rittich - Lehner tandem could have led the Flames to a President Trophy this year. Oh well, at least there's next year (again).
Again you are just assuming the player wants to come here