View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #688
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Speaking of improper attributions...this just came into my feed...

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-tyo071019.php

I've been suggesting for years that I'd be more likely to believe general pollution was the cause of bleaching vs warming waters. We are a messy species. This makes a tonne more sense. Will be interesting to see if places like Australia find similar causes. It's also a good reminder that assuming everything is due to climate change misses our other pollution, which is often much worse.
Nice article. Not sure it is a game changer though as similar research has been presented in the past. The bleaching of the Great Barrier Reef has already been attributed to similar variables. This is not a new hypothesis. Dissolved inorganic nutrients (run off) and nutrient changes as a result were identified as a contributing factor back in 1999. Land use and impact of agriculture have also been identified as being contributing factors to bleaching and coral die off. All are factors in the increased acidification of our oceans and putting life at risk. The loss of this life greatly impacts the ability of the oceans to act as a carbon sink and slow the damage we are doing to the planet. You're 100% right, man is messy and we don't appreciate the damage we do that affects the balance of the planet we live on. The problem is so large and complex that it is hard to comprehend for most people as the number of moving parts is hard to track.

I wish I could find them, but when I lived in Florida there were sites that you could go to and see the effects of current and run-off from the coasts and the glades. It was really cool because they could predict the clarity of the water for diving and fishing. I suspect they would support this research as well. Never thought about the connection at the time, but it all kind of makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, Bingo has mentioned it a couple of times. I always figured he was back. In fact, after matching up the abrasive, I know everything and you're an idiot, wall of text posting styles, I'm surprised I didn't notice before hand.
I'm not.

Here's the funny thing. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you you're an idiot. If I think you are wrong or poorly informed, I will engage you and debate you. That is an attempt to learn from each other and change perspectives. You consider it presenting a wall of text, I call it articulating a position that is usually complex and takes into consideration many variables. Single sentence replies to complex issues are trite and useless the vast majority of the time. I appreciate this is hard for a generation who communicates through the use of memes to understand, but this is how my generation was taught to discuss issues. Complex issues require in-depth analysis and equally complex solutions. I also tend to only pay attention and post in areas where I do have some experience or expertise. I read a lot of threads, and learn a lot along the way, but try and stay out of threads where they are beyond my element (hello Canadian politics thread!). More people should do the same. I hope that wasn't too abrasive.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote