View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #104
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Can I also say, $7M buys you one helluva player. Nobody who's arguing for the lower end of the spectrum thinks Tkachuk isn't worth the money.

$9.5m buys you UFA Mark Stone for 8 years. It doesn't make sense to pay that money for an RFA at less than max term, even if you think he's better (and as of right now, Stone is better than Tkachuk).

The guy probably deserves more money than Nylander. He's got more points in fewer games and he's a good defensive player with size who's not done getting better. But he deserves tens or hundreds of thousands more. Not millions.

Matt Duchene is going to get $8.5-9.5M as a centre on the UFA market. Nobody has made a convincing argument why Tkachuk deserves UFA 1st line centre money when he's not a centre, not a 1st line player on his own team, and has one year out of three where he was ALMOST a PPG player.

Auston Matthews scored 40 goals as an 18 year old and followed that with 34 and 37. And plays centre. In Toronto. That's why he got $11.6M.

He will be signed to a reasonable contract that secures his family's future for the next hundred years. What's unfair about that?
This is how I see it too. Him getting 9 million seems insane to me. 8 for max term imo.