View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #26
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find numbers fascinating, and really do hope that a locker-room code keeps up. It seems to be getting more and more lax lately though - so hopefully there's a desire to keep tradition and we see some numbers disappear.

I think it's great to have players loosely identify with their group, and I appreciate the 'he's a defenceman' subconscious understanding I have when seeing a jersey. There's definitely a benefit to generally identifying players based on their number.

Seeing a non-traditional number used to also mean that this guy is a great player, but it's now more likely to be a retained rookie number or a high number they've worn since junior. I didn't love hearing it from the organization, but I do wish there was an unspoken rule that you'd have to have a pretty big pair on ya to think you're wearing #98 out there.

The captain might take you aside and say "listen bud, I know you think the number looks really great (it does)... but your 1 goal last year isn't speaking 'special player' out there. Let's try on a not-so flashy 20-29 eh?". If that kind of scenario ever came up...

I also completely agree in evaluating a team on their #19. It's such a prevalent number for solid players throughout the league.

Edit: Aldso, "Jaromir Jagr chose 68 due to the events in 1968 Czechoslovakia which led to the democratization of that country" is fascinating.

Last edited by Split98; 10-09-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post: