View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #17
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've adjusted my cover letter a few times over the last couple of years. The hook has to be in the first paragraph - 4-5 sentences. I have a separate short intro for email applications - blurb, LinkedIn link, and include an attached cover letter. Never know when a junior staffer will print out the CV and cover letter to pass on up the ladder.

I have had many phone interviews and I think that I got to that point through a good cover letter. A few became in person interviews.

I recently asked an HR professional about long gaps in work history and seemingly declining job titles. I was told that so long as I could explain the gaps in some way, it would not be a deterrent (thoughts?). And that the titles were meaningless (thoughts?).

My other concern is about references. I'm afraid that my references are from too long ago or not giving a decent report (as when we discussed). I've only made it to the reference stage twice in the past year.

Once over the "resume pile", I found that the biggest sticking point preventing moving to the next step is the dreaded "what's your salary range?" question. I have tried to avoid it buy saying that I am not chasing the money, etc., but can rarely get away without giving a number that I am never sure is too high or too low.

Good luck to all the searchers out there!
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post: