Thread: Star Wars
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm kind of the same way, I'm the biggest Star Wars nerd out there I thing. But a number of things have made me go meh

1) The end of Rebels and its replacement with Resistance - I loved Rebels and it became a really strong show, especially at the end of the first season when things come together. Resistance hasn't captured me in the same way. When I recorded Rebels I would watch it that night or the next day. With Resistance because its far more kid friendly for example and the main character isn't very intriguing I watch it when I watch it and find the episodes so far to be forgettable. I find it really telling that they're bringing back TCWs.

2) The new Lore, Expanded Universe - I admit it Legends EU had some outright dogs, but they had some great story lines and characters and did a great job of filling in back story. For some reason the new EU just doesn't do that as well. I've stopped buying Star Wars books because they're poorly written and the new characters just don't seem to be that interesting. The Aftermath books that bridged the gap between ROTS and ANH were just boring.

3) The movies themselves - I liked Solo (Though I don't feel the need to watch it again even though as per tradition I bought it), I loved Rogue One. But the new trilogy just hasn't captured me. Again especially the second one did so many things that were really off setting. The dumbification of Hux, the Luke story just wasn't well executed for me. The Rey back story disposal was baffling. I'm just not super pumped about the new movie, especially when it sounds like they're going to throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and hope it sticks (Bringing back Lando etc)

In terms of seeing the backstory confrontation of Kyle, Snoke and Luke for example, I don't know if actually showing it is a great thing or not. The one sequence that I loved in ANH was Obi-Wan just talking about what happened to the Jedi. and to Luke's father. You could feel the pain and regret and anger in Obi-wan's voice as he simply told it. I'm not sure if it would have been as good if you had a Wayne's World wavy screen and video montage of what happened. Sometimes simpler is better.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: