View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea what jutter is. Jitter on the other hand is the variance that you have between packets arriving. It can be caused by packets taking different routes, or by a piece of equipment (router, switch etc) that is sending the packet out sending them at strange times for a variety of reasons. As I understand it, and I really don't because it isn't a level of networking I ever deal with, it is bad because packets usually need to be assembled in order as they come in, so if you have a delay then the processor needs to wait to put the next packet in. Also if jitter is really bad, over 50%, you can get packets coming in the wrong order, which can slow things down getting them put back together.

Packet loss is when a packet is sent but, due to some problems with the network, it doesn't arrive. This means the receiving device that is expecting the packet has to request it again after a certain delay (timeout), which means you could have a variety of thing happen but in general it makes things slower because there is more traffic being sent (duplicate packets) and the timeout and transmission delays caused by waiting for those packets.