View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
RE:Packs

For a pack let me tell you first what you don't need. Nothing that wieghs over about 3.5lbs and nothing that is larger than 60L. If you get a big pack you will fill your big pack.

After that fit is everything. I like the Osprey line for a main stream pack manufacturer. There Exos series of packs are about the lightest you can get from a major manufacturer. If the Exos packs fit you well I would start there. If those don't fit I would go to the next model up. Osprey as a company seems to embrace a lightweight philosophy throughout there line.

I use a ULA Equipment Circuit which ways about 2.5lbs and carrys up to 35 lbs very well. As a goal I like to keep weekend trips sub 20lbs and weeklong trips sub 25lbs. Each extra lb on your back makes a big difference. The problem is that there is no where in Canada to try these on so I don't really recomend getting one as fit is so important. MEC makes okay packs but they are all overbuilt, and heavy for their volume. They are pretty bomber though so you won't wear them out.

One general recomendation for buying gear for your overnight set up is that all you need is your day hiking set up plus a tent, a sleeping pad, a sleeping bag, a stove, a pot, and a spoon. Everything else is a gadget that you don't really need to bring.

I went and tried on the Exos and the Atmos this weekend at my local outdoor store and loved them both. The Exos was as you said a lighter model, they cut as many corners as they could on weight and it adds up quick. The Atmos was a bit more user friendly I think wit ha few more options. I was torn between which one I want.. the price range is about the same I think 30 bucks difference so I imagine it just makes sense to go with the lighter pack. I think you lose a few outside pockets but overall nothing major. The big difference was the Exos has a 58 litre where as with the Atmos its 50 or 65..

I'd love to see some gear lists if people don't mind, see what brands/models people use for their stoves, sleeping pads etc.. it would help some of us beginners out.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 07-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote