View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #1689
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, I'm sure the car would remind you! That makes more sense though. The comments in the article are hilarious from the EV owners.

Quote:
With my PHEV I've gotten used to not visiting a petrol station for months at a time. I wouldn't like having to go back to that.
Quote:
No thanks! I don't want another slavery and thievery of my hard earned money. I charge at home with free electricity net-metered from solar PV. If they can offer me a cheap electrolyte recharger at home then why not? But I don't think they would want that, they just want to fleece you out as much as they can. I am free of the bondage of oil and electric utilities!
Quote:
The main thing I don't like about this is that it would likely see Big Oil simply replaced by Big Hydrogen. I'd rather power my own EV with solar panels on my house. Or, if that option no longer works, let's at least know that the Hydrogen is being created by 100% renewable electricity. Otherwise it makes little sense...
Big Hydrogen! Panic!

OK, so we get more details, too.

Quote:
From other articles (smithsonianmag.com) it seems that the fluid is a "mixture of water, ethanol, salt and dissolved metals". Running this through the flow battery produces electricity and hydrogen. The hydrogen is then used in a fuel cell for a secondary production of electricity. Its not clear what happens to the carbon (from the ethanol) salt and dissolved metals, but are they perhaps combined into the electrode so there are no tail pipe emissions? - but note that there is no claim of zero tail-pipe emissions!
Their plan is that you discard the electrode about as frequently as you would service an ICE car (is that the 5000km?), and they claim for a similar cost. Can we presume the electrode is then recycled or is it waste? Also there's no narrative on how the ethanol is sourced - is this (please) a renewable energy and carbon capture process? How much will this ethanol cost?
I assume this gets "consumed"? I wonder how much ends up recycled, and how much it burns.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote