View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
11. Do I only need two winter tires if I'm driving a front or rear wheel drive vehicle?
NO!!!! You need all 4! A rear wheel drive car may get away with it, but in turns and under braking, the imbalance of traction can cause issues. A front wheel drive car is more critical to get all 4 tires, as the increased traction on the front will make the car want to swap ends and you might find yourself driving backwards coming up to a red light. Keep the proper balance of traction and get identical tires on all 4 corners.
First of all- great info there. But I just wanted to throw something out there for people.... given the choice between "just staying with my all-season tires" and just getting 2 winter tires- get the two winter tires. Just make sure to install them on the rear wheels.

Long story short- last year I got 4 rims and then 4 new tires, but only manages to get 2 of them mounted. So those went on the rear of my car. I had much better braking, and I was unable to get the back end of my car to slide at all going around corners; unless I went so fast that the front end would slide first.

Yes, last year I was a serious doubter about winter tires. It just so happened that I was at Pick-a-Part with a buddy and they were dropping off a Chevy version of my car with perfectly intact aluminum rims. I had about 12 seconds to decide if I wanted those rims; as the rest of the vultures were on their way over.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote