View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 01:21 AM   #490
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Like your optimism, but there's a lot of best case scenarios in your projection here. First off, you didn't include a 13th and 7th forward, so minus $1.5M minimum. If the Flames cannot completely rid themselves of Monahan's cap hit, then that's a possible $2.3M buyout on the books. Additionally, what if Gaudreau and Tkachuk's cap hit ends up higher than $9.25M? Also, I can't see Mangiapane making $5M. He's sitting 3rd in NHL scoring right now. His cap hit I imagine will likely be closer to $6M+. Lastly, you don't see the Flames re-signing Gudbranson? He's played every game and is a legit right handed shot whereas Mackey shoots left. Sutter isn't one to just hand jobs over to young players, in fact, he's the exact opposite. So, I'm not sure I see a Valimaki-Mackey pairing next season.

So, that possible $5.25M UFA...may actually be $0 depending on how everything else I stated goes. Actually, in a worst case scenario, I could see the Flames having to drop several players just to afford some of these pending raises.
You definitely make some good points. The point of my post was just to show it's possible to keep all 4 RFAs if you get a little creative.

Although on Mangiapane, I will be shocked if he gets anywhere near 6M.

Lindholm signed a longterm deal for less than 5M and IMO he had more of a case for a bigger contract than Mangiapane does now. Also Treliving is magic with RFAs I expect we'll see more of the same when it comes to 88 and 58.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote