View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #223
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
One thing about the Scheifele comparison, while I understand there is something there, he did IMPROVE every year leading to the elite player he is today. Bennett took a step back in his second season imo and needs to show improvement this year otherwise people might actually have a point. Still think his best chance is playing the wing with either of the top two lines, along with getting PP time.
Development and growth aren't always linear. Especially when you're moving a player around positions. Brent Burns is an interesting case as he got switched around from F to D in junior and the NHL. His goal totals were 1, 4, 7, 15, 8, 3, 17, 11, 9, 22, 17, 27, 29. At the age Bennett is now Burns had a career high of 16 points. He's scored 75 points twice now in his career.

Bennett played a chunk of his first year on LW with less responsibility with Backlund and Frolik. One of our strongest duos. I believe that was one of the best offensive stretches of his young career. Last year he was put at centre full time and asked to carry a line with weakish wingers for a lot of the year. His offensive totals didn't grow but arguably his overall game did. Points aren't the only measure of success in the NHL.

That said I do agree with you that Bennett needs to show something this year. But you can tell who lacks patience when you've got bold declarations a few games into this season that he won't ever be this or that, he has no hockey sense and the other silly things that have been mentioned in this thread.

I think Bennett is a bit of a victim of expectations. Fans think the highest pick in Calgary Flames history must develop quickly. But it doesn't always work that way. Because fans had huge expectations that have not yet been met they feel the need to exaggerate his failure I guess. His development has not been quick like Monahan and Tkachuk's were. But guess what? That doesn't mean he won't be a great player long term. It may just take him a while. Scouts don't pick players just based on who will peak the fastest. They are trying to pick the best player 5-6 years down the line.

Some other top 5 picks that weren't instant stars but turned out just fine? Chris Pronger. The Sedins were 30 point players until 4 years post-draft. Scott Hartnell didn't hit near the 20 goal, 50 point mark til 5 years post draft. Mikko Koivu (6th overall) didn't hit 50+ points til 5 years post draft. Ladd didn't become a near 50 point player til 4 years post draft. Wheeler didn't even make the NHL til 4 years post draft. Turris's first good year was 4 years post draft.

We are now 3 years since Sam Bennett's draft. There's still time for him to turn out just fine. Yeah we all wished he developed faster but again, he missed almost an entire year due to shoulder surgery. Some don't seem to be taking that into account. It's basically delayed his development by a whole year. Plenty of examples of star players who took longer to develop than he has and didn't even have his injury concerns.

So yeah, the writing off of his top 6 potential is very premature still.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 10-16-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: