View Single Post
Old 11-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
So, my wife loves moves and has hundreds of DVDs. I convinced her to throw out all the cases and keep them in binders which is great for space but I would like to take it to the next level.

In my head, I would like to rip all of the DVDs to a hard drive that is connected to the wifi and push movies to any TV or device in the house.

Ideally with some software that includes things like cover art and other information about the movie.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Is it legal to backup your own DVD's?
Is it easy to backup your DVD's? I assume it will be time consuming but if it is easy it can be done in the background over a period of time.
Is there good software for organizing the collection? I don't mind spending some money if it is going to be a slick system.
Is it easy to stream on any device? The TVs can/do have Chromecast? Tablets and phones are Android.
What will the picture quality be like?
Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks
It's legal to make backups for personal use. There is a law against breaking copy protection but no one is going to come after you if you're not sharing the movies.

MakeMKV is probably the easiest program to rip DVDs. The resulting file will look just as good as the original. You can use something like Handbrake to make the files smaller if space is an issue, but you'll sacrifice a little quality.

I agree with Fuzz about Plex. It's an easy to use media organizer that looks very slick. There are apps for just about everything you can hook up to a TV, and work on mobile devices too.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: