Thread: Pizza
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2022, 12:52 PM   #1375
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
After months of hands on market testing I have determined that Noble Pie is my favorite pizza place and would like to replicate their recipe at home if possible. Does anyone have a good dough recipe that will be most like Noble Pie? Thinking airy/bubbly, crispy outer edge that's still chewy. Looking closely at pictures it's like the dough creates many small bubbles of crispy goodness.

Thanks in advance
IMO, the best home-made pizza doughs that I've made/had are made using long, slow proofing times - such as the Serious Eats recipe or the NYT recipe (Roberta's pizza dough)

I like proofing the dough for 2-3 days in the fridge, which gives it lots of time to build flavour and generate lots of those little air bubbles without overfermenting the dough (which will cause it to deflate and get too sticky). Also because I've baked a lot of sourdough over the pandemic, I've done the same using sourdough starter instead of commercial yeast and a long cold proof with good results (here's a sourdough pizza recipe that's pretty good).

The other key for home pizzas is to be able to get heat up your pizza as quickly as possible to try to match what happens in restaurant ovens - I've found having a pizza steel to be a gamechanger. I just got a $50 one from Canadian Tire, but they have much thicker ones that you can get online that are a bit pricier. When I am making pizza at home, I crank up the oven as hot as it will go (550degF for me, though many ovens top out at 500) and preheat the baking steel on the top rack (or maybe second to top depending on your oven) for 30 mins, then switch it to broil and toss in the pizza. Then the pizza gets cooked quickly both from the bottom (with the pizza steel very quickly dumping heat into the crust) and the top (from the broiler), and it only takes 6-8 mins depending on the size of the pizza. You can get an amazing tasting crust with a crispy bottom and a soft interior with a bit of practice.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to delayedreflex For This Useful Post: