View Single Post
Old 02-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #1109
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
For me this points to an obvious situation where the GM likely wasn't pushing hard for a deal as the OP suggests and/or the player simply wants out unless they get maximum value. I highly doubt Guadreau was turning down a long term $7Mish AAV deal last year, which even at the rate he was producing was probably fair for both sides. Now not so much.

Constantly running this team up against the cap, needing to steal from Peter to pay Paul so to speak is only sustainable for so long and now it's time to pay the piper. Unless he's got some serious wizardry up his sleeve, this team could potentially be in ruins without 2 of it's best players in town beyond this year. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of what this team looks like without either.
I wouldn’t say this is high doubt. Why not? If he thinks he can be a $10M player, why not bet on himself after a bad year? Especially if he can be a $10M player wherever he wants.

There’s also a possibility he was being lowballed/met with hesitation from the Flames side due to the lack of solid playoff performances. There was much from fans too, many vocal people wanting to move away from the Gaudreau/Monahan days completely. A lot was in the air this summer, and I have no doubt the attempt to bring in Eichel has a lot to do with it. I’m guessing if Eichel landed here, Gaudreau signs pretty soon after. By the time all that shook out both sides maybe decided a wait and see approach.

Last edited by Coach; 02-01-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote