View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #671
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think the return itself pretty much nukes the replacement player argument.

An actual outcome (Florida GM wanting Bennett and surrendering two assets) pretty much puts to rest that he as a replacement level player.
I'm just going to throw this out there.

Bill Zito's time as GM is all about buying low on players. He looks for guys that have had pedigree or hints of greatness, but for whatever reason, not found a way to be good players. His M.O. is that if you do this often enough, you'll get a guy that performs above his contract, and in Florida, that's always important to do for internal cap reasons. Buy low, sell high. The classic stockmarket approach to running a team under cash constraints.

Sam Bennett is another in the line of guys like Hornqvist (declining), Duclair (suitcase player), Verhaeghe and Marchment (career minor leaguer about to pop), Montour and Gusev (underperforming on a bad team), Alex Wennberg and Noah Juulsen (underutilized/underperformer) etc. etc. etc.

I guess the assets spent mean they see him as a guy that could be truly great. We shall see. I am more certain that they spent those assets because he's an RFA that doesn't need a huge QO to keep him in a solid bottom 6 role with playoff edge. It's a missing element on the Panthers, so they went shopping for it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: